How To Properly Remove Magnetic Debris From Your KEUTEK Device
When using your KEUTEK magnetic charging cable, it is possible that it will pick up some magnetic debris over time. It is important to remove this to prevent the debris from short-circuiting your cable. The debris can also interfere with the charging of your devices. We do not recommend trying to use your fingers to remove the debris. These can get stuck in your finger and are likely not clean. This can lead to bacteria build-up, soreness, and possibly infection. Proper care and maintenance can help to prevent magnetic debris from interfering with your charging experience. Even with proper care, it is possible to pick up magnetic debris in places that you typically wouldn’t expect.
How Does the Debris Get There?
There are numerous ways that your KEUTEK charging cable may pick up magnetic debris. Because of the magnetic ends, little pieces of magnetic debris are attracted to the end pieces of your cable. These can come from the ground, off of a table, in a garage, or from a variety of places. Sometimes something as simple as dropping your cable onto the carpet will cause it to pick up little metal pieces that a vacuum may have missed. It is best to avoid using your cable in areas that have a lot of metal debris such as shops where grinding, welding, and drilling are known to produce these particles. Often times dirt tracked in from your shoes can have metallic particles from the ground in it as well.
How Do I Remove This Debris?
There are a couple of methods you can use to remove this metallic debris from your charging cable. The most effective method is to use candle wax. Start by unplugging your cable from the power source. Melt some candle wax and drip it onto a sheet of wax paper. Be careful not to burn yourself with this. As the wax starts to harden, fold the wax paper inwards and use it to form a glob with the wax. As the wax solidifies, you should be able to pick it up and form it. (It will still be warm)
Press the chunk of soft wax into the magnetic end of your charging cable, hold it for a second and pull it out. The magnetic pieces should come out with it. If some particles remain, do this again with a clean section of the wax until it is clean. NOTE: Do not pour the wax directly on the charging cable. The high heat can cause the magnets to lose power.
Other Methods for Debris Removal
Another method is to use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Lay down a piece of paper, a bag, or something else to catch the metal filings. Hold your cable with the magnetic end facing down over your surface. Use the toothbrush with the bristles facing up and lightly scrub the magnetic end. You should see some of the metal pieces falling onto the surface you have down to catch them. When finished, simply fold up your catching surface, throw it away, and begin using your charging. NOTE: do this with a dry toothbrush. Moisture can damage or destroy your KEUTEK charging device.
Sometimes it can help to keep a soft cloth handy when cleaning the magnets on your KEUTEK magnetic charging cable and charging tips. This soft cloth can often help grab the magnetic material to pull it away from the magnets. The magnetic material is often angled and rigid, which helps it cling to the cloth, making it easier to remove.
Be Mindful of the Internal Pins
Whether you choose to use a soft cloth or a soft bristle brush, it is important to be careful when cleaning the magnets on your cables and tips. The connection pins near these magnets are crucial in maintaining the necessary connections between the charging cable and your device. The pins can also be snagged in the brush or the cloth if either is pushed into the internal slots. This is why it is important to use the cloth or brush carefully around the magnets, and not directly over the entire cable end or end of the charging tip.
Is it Worth Buying a Magnetic Charging Cable?
After reading this far, you are probably thinking, “wow, that is a lot of hassle for a simple charging cable!” In reality, with a magnetic charging cable, it is not likely that you will have to go through this cleaning process very often, if ever. This process is to help on the rare occasion that you do end up with metal debris in your charging cable. Personally, I have only had to wipe off the magnets on my cable once or twice over the past year. Each time, this has taken less than a minute to do with a soft cloth. When you look at the upside to a magnetic charging cable, then you will see that it is well worth a couple of minutes of cleaning in the long run.
A magnetic charging cable serves several purposes that make it better than a traditional charging cable. For starters, the magnetic tips come in several different charging styles. This means that you can put a lightning iOS tip in your iPhone, a Type-C tip in your tablet, and a Micro-USB tip in your wireless headphones. You can charge all three of these devices, with three different charging ports, from a single magnetic charging cable. If you have several devices that use the same tip, it is relatively inexpensive to purchase extra tips to cover all of your devices.
Another major benefit to using magnetic charging cables is the protection that it provides for your device. Personally, I have replaced the charging ports in several of my devices prior to switching to a magnetic charging cable. This is because with a traditional charging cable, using your device while it is plugged in will often put pressure on the charging port from the angle of the cable. Over time, this pressure, combined with the constant push and pull of plugging and unplugging your device, will stretch out the charging port. Once this happens, it becomes increasingly difficult to get a good connection when plugging in your device. With the magnetic charging cord, the magnet provides a breakaway point. When pressure is applied, the cable disconnects at the magnet before the stress can cause damage to your charging port.
With those reasons listed, a couple of minutes to clean the charging cable is well worth the longevity that it provides for my devices. Try one for yourself and see if making the switch is the right move for you.